4/18/2019 7:29:00 AM Mayor declares April 24 Federation Day in Rhinelander
Mayor Chris Frederickson has signed an official proclamation declaring April 24 Federation Day in the City of Rhinelander.
The General Federation of Women's Clubs, an international women's organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service, will celebrate its 129th anniversary on April 24, the organization's Federation Day, club members explained in a press release.
To mark the anniversary, state and local federations have sought and received proclamations from their states' governors and mayors, proclaiming April 24 GFWC Day, in recognition of the often unheralded work clubwomen contribute to their communities, the release states.
Locally, the Rhinelander Woman's Club has been organized for 121 years, the release states. In 1898 under the leadership of Clara Brown, 20 women interested in study, fellowship, and improving the city formed the Rhinelander Woman's Club. Their first project involved the purchase of 300 books for the first library in the city. In the 1920s the Club opened a "comfort station" for women, called "Oneida County Women's Rest Rooms". Financial upkeep was shared by the county and city. During 1929 it had nearly 17,000 visitors. In 1962 the room had to move to a new location. After 68 years of community support, the Rest Room closed its doors on Aug. 12, 1988.
On Tuesday, April 9 Mayor Frederickson attended the club meeting of the GFWC Rhinelander Woman's Club at Days Inn for the signing of the proclamation.
GFWC's main project is domestic violence awareness and prevention. It also focuses heavily on veterans' issues and child advocacy, among a host of other programs. "Rhinelander Woman's Club has assisted the community in numerous ways including financial contributions and volunteer hours to the Rhinelander District Library, student scholarships, Rhinelander Area Food Pantry and assistance with numerous other projects and local organizations," the release states.
The seeds for GFWC's existence were sown in New York in 1868 when journalist and founder Jane Cunningham Croly was denied entry because of her gender to a press club dinner honoring author Charles Dickens, leading her to form a woman's club, called Sorosis. On April 24, 1890, 63 clubs officially formed the General Federation of Women's Clubs. Today, 90,000 members strong and with clubs in every U.S. state and 11 countries, GFWC is the world's largest nonpartisan, nondenominational, international women's organization.
For more information, www.Facebook.com/RhinelanderWomansClub or call Cindy Goll at 715-369-1972.
The Northwoods River News | Walker Communications, LLC 232 S. Courtney Street, Rhinelander, WI 54501 | Office (715) 365-6397 | Fax (715) 365-6361
Corporate billing office: The Lakeland Times / Lakeland Printing Inc. | P.O. Box 790, Minocqua, WI 54548 | (715) 356-5236 | Fax (715) 358-2121 Members of the Wisconsin Newspaper Association, Wisconsin Community Papers, Rhinelander Area Chamber of Commerce, Minocqua Area Chamber of Commerce